Sunday, May 5, 2013


18 February 2013

Hello Family and Friends,

Well, another week down and not much news to report. We finally got a marked baptism. His name is "Joe," he is 16. He was almost baptized about a year ago but it fell through the day before the baptism. We are teaching him again and tying up a lot of loose ends from the past missionaries. During one of our lessons he said, "Wait a minute, there is a real, living, prophet in the world!?!" I was surprised that he didn't know that already, oh well let's hope we can get a baptism before this transfer ends.
So you want to know a little bit about my companion. Elder W's Father is from Switzerland and Mother is from São Paulo. I don't remember how they met or what he was doing in São Paulo but they got married. His Mother was baptized in the church when she was 15 years old and the Father never was a member or had any interest in the church. The Father left the family when Elder was 6 years old and he hasn't had any relationship with him since. The Father lives in the US and has a new family.
Elder W grew up living with his Mother in São Paulo. He was baptized when he was 12 and had completely forgot that he had been baptized in the church, he and his Mother became very much part of the world. He was testing out a lot of churches until one day his mom told him to try out the church he was baptized in. Like I said he had no recollection that had even been baptized. Soon the missionaries were teaching them and the rest is history.
The branch is composed of about 30 strong members, but this past Sunday there was a ton of people at sacrament meeting so there are a lot of other members. It seems like everyone in the branch is somehow related to the "Phitz" family. The Phitz family is composed of 8 adult siblings and a bunch of kids. The missionaries baptized almost the entire family back in the late 90's early 00's. They are strong in the church, but also very much new. So far we have not had to do too much extra work because of the size of the branch. They are really organized and everyone has a calling so things run rather smoothly without much assistance from the missionaries.
We have lunch with the Phitz 3 or 4 times a week. So yeah, the lunches do not have much variety. I think I have eaten chicken, rice, and beans every meal since I arrived in Butía. I am grateful for what I get but a change up would be really nice. Every now and then we get some soda to go with our meal so that is always exciting. After lunch I buy 5 popsicles to split between Elder Weber and I, all for the price of 1$.
Anyways, sorry for the rather boring news. I'm super stoked to see Dad and Greg shredding the slopes in Utah. They look like pros already! I will trying to keep from getting too "Trunky," missionary slang for homesick. Greg send me your home address I have a letter for you but don't know where to send it.

Miss and love you all,

Elder Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment