Saturday, July 12, 2014

7 July 2014

Hello Family and Friends, 

There were a lot of mixed feelings this past week on the mission. My companion Elder Aires finished his mission and went home to Fortaleza. This has always been difficult for me to say goodbye to my companions and this time it was no different. Then my new companion came, Elder Silva, and it has been a great experience so far. Elder Silva is in his final transfer just like me. He is super humble and friendly. He was a little disappointed that he was taken out of his area in Pelotas to finish his mission here in Porto Alegre but we talked and he is determined to give it his best these next few weeks. I will be honest that it is a little strange being in a companionship which both missionaries are in their final weeks on missions. 
 
 

This being a transfer week and with the world cup game Thursday we did not get to work as much as I would have liked but we did see some miracles Saturday. My testimony of fasting grew this day. We were fasting to thank God for all the baptisms that we had as a zone this past month and God blessed us twofold. We came across a less active family that we were not looking for including some of which had not become members yet. They were happy to have the missionaries back in their lives to help orient them to the straight and narrow path once again. Then when we were returning to the chapel we heard someone call for us across the street. It was a young couple with a small child. They began to tell us that they had been taught some of our lessons and had gone to church a few times last year. They went on to tell us that in a few short weeks they would be getting married and would like to be married in our church. It was one of those moments were don't believe what is happening and you look up to the sky expecting angels to sing, "Halleluiah." It was incredible and last night we went to their house to teach all the lessons once again. At first they were a little hesitant on the thought of being baptized so quickly but we responded their questions and I have faith that we will marry and baptize this couple, Carlos and Sharon. Pray for them please.

My biggest hope for this transfer is just to baptize. If we can achieve this goal I would have baptized with all of my companions which has been my goal since the beginning of the mission and I will go home a happy man. Help me with this goal by praying for my investigators. I have another 5 weeks to do this. I think that at the end of the mission President Castro allows the missionaries to visit the areas in which they passed through. If that is the case Elder Silva and I will be traveling a lot the last week of the mission. It would be a great reward for a job well done.
 

Tomorrow Brazil plays Germany for a spot in the final game. It will get tense here and for sure we will be in our apartment the whole time. Wednesday we will be going to zone counsel here in Porto Alegre where all the zone leaders of the mission meet to talk about the success and areas to improve from the past month of the mission. In our mission there were 108 baptisms in June which was a record since I have been here. 

Lots of Love,

Elder Miller 

PS. These are the names to include in your prayers. 

Lucas, Miguel, Patricia, Gregory, Carlos, Sharon, Paulo
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment