Sunday, March 10, 2013

21 January 2013 Second Transfer Complete

Hello Friends and Family,
 

So this past transfer, though it was a beating, turned out to be a major success in my eyes. Yesterday, we had two different investigators at church and 4 separate reactivation of members that had been less actives for a long period of time. It was so cool and I could hardly stop smiling the whole time at church. All the hard work and mental stress paid off. Elder Skouson said it was the hardest transfer of his mission thus far. With little help we took a dry patch of ground and made it fertile once again.

You want to know what is going to happen with me this next transfer??? Drum roll... I'm getting transferred to Butiá!!! Butiá is located on the outskirts of Porto Alegre the city. So I'm not going to far from where I am right now but it should be a nice change, new environment, new missionaries, and less hills. I don't know who is going to be my next companion but I have a hunch it is going to be Elder Weber, a Brazilian. From what I've heard about him he sounds like "a good guy" so I hope that means he likes to work, we'll see. Tomorrow around 2 o' clock I will travel to the train station where the transfers take place, find my new companion, and off we go!

I has been a huge learning experience here in Glória and I'm so stoked to have started my mission here. I won't get any harder than this area from what people tell me, I hope they aren't joking.
 


My Portuguese is well enough now that I can communicate and understand pretty much everything. Speaking is still a bit of a challenge some times but it has improved 7 fold. One more transfer and I should be a talking fool. The Americans tell me not to worry about it, they say I'm speaking better than they were at 5 months, 3 in the field. I'm more concerned about teaching with the spirit now. There was a missionary that passed through this mission a few years back that finished his mission barely speaking Portuguese but he was one of the most successful missionaries to pass through this mission. It was because he taught with the spirit in a way that his investigators, even though that didn't understand his speech, knew that what he was saying was true. I heard that in his last weeks in the mission he baptized like 20 something people!!!

A lot of cool experiences happened this week. First off, we taught a young man, 17years old, named André. He is a street contact I made this one day in pouring rain. He was playing soccer by himself pulling a bunch of fancy moves and I, trying not to be awkward, just asked him "Where did you learn to play soccer like this" and so we started talking. We taught him a couple times this week and I have high hopes for him in the future with the next missionary that comes here.

Also, one day this week we were looking for the address number 71. It was one number in a long list a contacts made by other Elders that had passed through this area some time back. To make a long story short we could not find 71, this happens a lot, but we saw a number 73 and for "some reason" decided to knock on that door to find directions for number 71. We clapped outside the house and out came this lady, probably in her early 50's. I began to say "We are missionaries of the church"... and she said, "of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." We were a bit shocked and begun to question how she knew the church. Turns out she was baptized 18 years back but had turned away from the church soon after. She had moved a couple times since and I doubt anyone knew where she was. We talked a bit and she said that she had recently moved because her husband had been beating the family for some time and judge said she had to move from the area or lose the kids. She has a bunch of kids that are pretty much grown up now, but she has a bundle of grand kids that live with her, some of them are of baptism age. We picked her up to go to church yesterday and we will see what happens in the future. I hope Elder Skouson and the new Elder can get that family's life back together with the help of the church.

The rest of the day today I will pack my bags and get ready for tomorrow. Oh and Elder Bednar is coming in this week. I'm super stoked. Not only is a living apostle going to be here but it's going to be almost one on one with him, because it is just the Porto Alegre zones that will see him, not the whole mission. Happy Birthday Dad, Love you a ton. GO 49'rs! This super bowl sounds like a good one.
 

Much Love,
 

Elder Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment